When we talk about digital transformation it’s always ongoing with new information, knowledge and experience from all over world and in so many different areas.
And because of that, it is so easy to be confused and get lost. Where to go, what to do, where to start.
According to Brian Solis Altimeter Research, Digital Transformation is a process of many things. Among others, we can start by a process changing mindsets, the understanding on doing new way of business. For starter, how to adapt and give way for a new lifestyle and buying methods. As results, the impact and changes in business processes. The need push forward new technologies and therefore a new investment to improve relevancies for customers and employees to seek the new digital economy that everyone wants.
A good learning, given by Bapak Sakto Wibisono, the former IT Director of Putera Sampoerna Foundation, on one occasion when we were discussing a project . A video of Jeanne W. Ross, Principal Research Scientist, MIT Sloan Center for Information Systems Research (@jrossCISR) on how to articulate your company’s digital vision.
This is so interesting that I just had to share my point of view.
Articulate your digital vision. What does that mean ?
With digital come into place, there are so many changes happening towards the process of what makes a business. We can no longer fit in with business as usual or how we see business the old way.
The understanding of the statement above is that we need to review and redefine the big WHY in doing business with digital comes in the process. To do that there are a few steps we must do.
This to me is also a learning. So sharing how I see it, these are the main highlights.
- Understand how technology can change our business opportunities
With so many disruptions of new technology from social to block chain, from analytic to bio metric, then are also cloud and internet of things and so on, we tend to get distracted.
It use to believed that unless you are a well round company with complete functions for each work process, you cannot take advantage with these technology. Not all are important for you and could benefits with the condition of how you process your business now.
We need to understand how these technology can make a change in the business opportunities. How the conversion take place in this moment because by using these technologies.
The key is having not enabling business strategy but identify new way of business through sources of inspiration. Data, access and process are the key inspirations that we can learn to learn how to qualify what becomes the changes of way of business that we can learn.
For example Taxi business vs Uber
- Taxi : gives rides
- Uber : give rides, who your driver while driving, how much when you arrives and take out all hassles on payment method.
- Uber take digital economy because they understood the possibility on digital technology.
Changing the opportunities from our customer value propositions from enabling to inspiring values of propositions. In Uber case, Uber inspire the customer to new value propositions that commonly was customer problems into their solutions. New value propositions become new sources of revenues.
How to learn technology to go beyond who we were.
- Digitised is NOT digital.
Digitised makes operational excellence. The transformation was started in the 90s involves instilling integration of system and much more discipline around core transaction and back offices processes. Making more efficient and effective improving the customer experience. The integration are in place.
Are your company digitised yet ? If yes, then your company is ready to go digital. When you are ready then you can then go to the next step, building business innovation by empowering people through projects experiments and execute digital offerings to the customer. Through these projects we can offer to our customer new value propositions and then we learn how to make new revenues streams through new products and services offerings.
- social technology inspire customer to do books reviews
- analytic technology inspires customer to do share testimonials on books
- mobile technology inspires customers to do easier buy using shopping cart
- AI technology inspires customer to make their lives easier and more accessible
So the steps in articulating your digital vision,
- first, learn the technology that can serve your business,
- second, digitised your company so that you are wholesome in effective and efficient as an organisation. This means being resourceful in both technology and people. And then,
- third, start doing experiments that can deliver new product and services offerings from the new and improved value propositions that manifest opportunities as source of revenues.
So, where are you on your digital journey ?