What are the role and responsibilities of the Digital and Social Media Team?
- Companies and their change agents still face big challenges in the pursuit of digital transformation, including a lack of digital talent and expertise (31.4%), the perception that digital transformation is a cost center and not an investment (31%), and general culture issues (31%).
- While companies are making attempts to modernize employees’ skillsets for a digital economy with new training programs (62%), only about half are investing in new digital talent. The employee experience is a crucial, yet often overlooked element of a successful digital transformation.
As a continuance of the Centralised Digital Services post #7, we now enter discussions on how we manage our skilled human resource, the Digital and Social Media Team. These guys are the ones who live and breathe digital and has the necessary skills that needs attached to it. Because they are the ones who sew it all together; digital and social media strategist in customer experience, user experience and user interface. Above all, they are the change maker.
With all the challenges we’ve met,
Challenge 1. Representative of the brand online, channels, functions and voice.
Challenge 2. Everybody wants to go online.
and with the services that we need to provide, we divided our role into 2 parts. A main role and a supporting role.
- Main Role. A programmed activities or regular routine, we call Always On activities.
- Supporting Role. By Request activities from based on any tactical, a request that came in, from campaign based activities, a supporting project, digital asset developments or simple announcement.
Each role has 3 aspects that are essentials to support each brand online presence
- Digital Community Management
Everybody has a role as the dedicated admin that could serve as the representative of the brand and channels of the brand, to be voice on editorial and activity online. And on this part each digital assets or social media channels has their own digital community management based strategy.
We would also require to deliver planning for digital activation for any thematic or tactical needs that are suitable and based on the digital community engagement level at that time.
Manage to do online listening, monitoring and deliver monthly and by request reporting on the digital and social media side of marketing and communications. This is why hootsuite becomes a valuable tool for us managing all digital communities at once. It is hard to manage online manually. That is why we would start and also use free tools to support in managing the all the voice at once.
- Digital Asset Management
We are the care taker who operated and manage by digital and social media channels based on the agreed digital big picture plan. The digital big picture plan is important to identified to make us understand what is ideal for the owner for the brand versus how they serve the business. Building the digital assets will required stages in developments as we are also the project leader for any digital asset developments to manage the digital big picture that required User Interface and User Experience information identified and also the required road map planned ahead.
Editorial management and developer for each brand’s online presence with always on thematic content to support, yearly, monthly, weekly and daily feeds and also any by request content. For content to fit in with the audience it needs strategy. Not just saying “Good Morning” each day or executing 3 post on a channel.
For content material we partner with the creative divisions mostly for design based content. But for the editorial transcript we manage to produce on our own. So we have also the ability to write and storytelling as we execute to each channels including words for SEO.
All three aspects, digital community, digital assets and content management must come together and sync in harmony. That is why it is important to have structure and strategic thinking. To have discipline and be detailed.
The above content strategy architecture is from the Altimeter research. And the concept on how to orchestrate it all together.
Based on our learnings of facts from the Altimeter Research from Brian Solis, essentially what we need for digital transformation on any organisation are,
- The People meaning the leaders, the champions, the change maker, the change agent and also the teamwork
- Orientation which means the directions and guidelines.
- Understanding the Work Process and in my case to support the digital architecture connected to the business.
- A firm agreement on the Objectives, why and what.
- Discipline on Structure in seeing everything and managing to make sense in as efficient and effective as possible.
- Insights and intent gathered and identified each project or from incoming inputs.
- The Technology itself, understanding the the concept the tool or the asset.
- And at the end the Execution is what matter the most, implementation, learning, monitoring, and so on.
But the real key for me based on my learning experience is that going online means you got to tidy up your offline. Because there will never be any digital transformation if your business is not ready. As a company, or as a brand.
I would like to take this opportunity to introduce the digital and social media team members who make it all happened. Due to the change in business strategy at PSF, we are no longer work together as a team. Yet we maintain our friendship. I am very proud as they became their own leader in their own way.
A true community leader and one of the best in his field. Only Fikri can manage to have the network, the relationships, the skill and the knowledge to build communities engagement with most of the communities in Indonesia including bloggers and netizen. Fikri resigned from PSF for a scholarship program as he pursue his Master’s Degree in the Netherlands. Fikri is now the Head of Community Management for BukaLapak, one of the largest social commerce in Indonesia.
Eva continued to join me at Pita Kuning, a foundation for children with cancer from underprivileged families as Marketing Communication and Community Manager. Now she is the Product Marketing Specialist IUWASH PLUS at USAID still in the social industry.
Passionate in helping other, Kristin initiated a savings box for whoever came in late has to donate money. Each month the money goes to Save a Teen, an education program for gifted smart teenagers from underprivileged background. Now Kristin is the Deputy Marketing Manager at Beritagar.id.
Angga is now living abroad at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia as Editorial Content Team Lead for iPrice Group Sdn Bhd. A superb writer, Angga was our very own private English teacher for our team. He has helped his peers to learn English better every week when we were at PSF.
Acen has accomplished so much after PSF. Producing 2 books, climbed Mount Everest, Anapurna and as founder of Jalan Pendaki, a community based brand is taking it to another level, now going ecommerce. Acen is now Head of Social Media at Beritagar.id.
This smart dude, started out as an intern. During those time he manage to graduated from the University of Indonesia. This soccer player is now the Digital Copywriter Supervisor for PT Indocare Citrapasific.
To learn more about them click on each of their names.
Thank you. Thank you. And thank you for reading all my series of #TyasDigitalProject posts. It was truly one of the best adventure I ever had. Off to the next now 🙂
See you on my next post !
Read also, #TyasSocialProject
Read also an article from cmo.com on “How the people behind digital transformation drive change from within.”
Tyas is now Partner at Bangwin Consulting, Freelancer, Writer and Trainer on Digital and Social Media. For project enquiries : email@example.com